All swimming pool and spa filtration methods, contain using a number of items of apparatus. One of the vital vital being your spa or swimming pool filter pump. A mechanical shaft seal is without doubt one of the key parts within the design of those pumps. The job of a mechanical seal is the prevention of water leaks alongside the pump’s motor shaft.
Injury to the seals of pool and spa pumps, takes place due to overheating, vibration, and a sudden change in water strain. There are some instances the place dust get trapped between the faces of the seal. This will trigger injury to the seal as nicely which ends up in a leak. When you develop a leak on you pump, it’ll solely get worst; thus, the shaft seal must be exchange.
Steps to efficiently changing your pump shaft seal
Earlier than the repairs to any swimming pool pump can start, it’s important to collect the required instruments and substitute elements wanted to finish the job. Instruments and sources wanted embrace:
- A pair of pliers.
- A great ratchet set.
- A small impeller wrench.
- A rubber hammer or mall.
- A set of flat screw drivers.
- Some emery material sand paper.
- Silicone lubricant.
- A brand new mechanical shaft seal meeting. Guarantee that you’ve got the proper seal mannequin in your pump mannequin. You are able to do this by checking your proprietor’s handbook or provider of your pool pump.
- A substitute gasket for the pump housing.
- Anti-seize. For coating the threads of the motor shaft.
Changing your pump shaft mechanical seal
As a rule of thumb, at all times abide by all security directions every time servicing any sort gear. Failure to take action can lead to severe accidents or demise to your self or others Pentair Pumps.
- Earlier than you start the repairs to your pool filter pump, it’s important to disconnect all electrical energy sources. Just be sure you lock out and tag the primary circuit breaker. That is an added security precaution, that can forestall any accidents as a result of somebody unintentionally turning the breaker on.
- Shut the valves on each the suction and discharge sides of the pump.
- To entry the dangerous mechanical seal in your pool pump, it’s important to take away the 4 hex head bolts. These are the 4 bolts that join the motor and impeller meeting to the pump housing.
- Maintain the motor firmly with each arms and wiggle it back and forth barely. This may help you efficiently pull the motor and its bracket meeting away from the pump housing.
- Utilizing your pliers or crescent wrench, maintain the prolonged finish of the motor shaft (again finish). This may forestall the motor shaft from transferring.
- Now take your impeller wrench and unscrew the impeller from the pump shaft. If you do not have an impeller wrench useful, you possibly can place an outdated rag over the impeller and unscrew it by hand. The rag will assist in stopping you from chopping your self on the impeller’s sharp edges. There may be additionally an alternative choice however it’s a final resort. Use one in every of your in opposition to the impeller and gently faucet it along with your rubber mall. Nonetheless be very cautious to not crack or injury the impeller.
- The seal plate now must be faraway from the pump motor. That is accomplish by eradicating the 4 small screws that maintain it in place. As soon as the screws are eliminated, a gently faucet will free the seal plate from the motor.
- Now earlier than you take away the mechanical shaft seal, please take discover of how it’s put in initially. This may show you how to within the set up of the brand new pump shaft seal.
- The stationary portion of the seal is within the recess on the seal plate situated on the motor bracket. To take away it, it’s important to flip the seal plate over. The stationary portion on the seal is now going through down. Place the tip of a flat screw driver on the again of the seal and gently faucet it out.
- Use the emery material and slightly water to wash the shaft/sleeve of the motor and the seal recess within the seal plate.
- Place a small quantity of silicone lubricant on each the motor shaft and within the mechanical seal recess. This lubrication helps the seal meeting to slip into place slightly simpler. Just be sure you set up each halves of the seal meeting in the identical method as the unique. The white ceramic portion of the seal with the black rubber cup, goes into the seal plate. The glass end MUST be going through you.
- The opposite portion of the mechanical shaft seal (rotating half with the spring) goes onto the motor shaft. That is solely after the motor bracket is bolted again in place. You have to use excessive care right here since you do not need to injury, scratch or soiled the faces of your new mechanical seal.
- Test the pump gasket and whether it is broken in any approach, exchange it. Now in case your pool pump carries a paper gasket (centrifugal pumps), you’ll positively have to exchange it. Reality be informed! Everytime you disassemble a pump, the unique gasket often fails to reseal. Earlier than putting in your new pump head gasket, you have to take away any hint of the outdated one. This may guarantee correct seating of the brand new; thus, offering a correct seal.
- If it’s important to exchange the pump head gasket, insert the brand new one between the 2 halves of your pump. Now re-assemble your swimming pool pump within the reverse order that you just disassembled it.
- Lastly, open the valves in your pump’s suction and discharge strains. Restore energy provide and begin it up. Test for any indicators of leaks. There are some situations the place a paper gasket is used, small leak could also be evident; nonetheless, as soon as the gasket is moist it’ll create a correct seal. In some instances, one or two extra activates the pump bolts is required. However, when you comply with these directions your pump repairs will likely be a hit.
Now use a small flat screw drive to assist in the removing of the rotating a part of the seal element.
Ordinarily the producers of spa and swimming pool pumps will advise in opposition to you doing your individual pump repairs. That is so that you just preserve your guarantee and keep away from any accidents. Nonetheless in case your guarantee is up and you’re a little quick on money, I say go for it and do your individual repairs. However at all times use your judgment and at all times train security first. Producers additionally want individuals which can be certified to work on their merchandise, to take action.